Our route goes from Washington, DC, to Astoria, Oregon. An interactive map of the route is available on Ride With GPS, a navigation and tracking tool for cyclists. The entire route is somewhat unmanageable on that site, and impossible to use on my bicycle computer, so I divided it into segments in collection on Ride With GPS We are following the route of the Trans Am Bike Nonstop US , an annual race from Astoria to Washington. However, we are old men who have never been on an overnight bicycle tour, much less a tour across a continent, so we are not racing, and of course we are doing it in reverse. Bike Nonstop US is organized by Nathan Jones, who planned this route. He developed the race and route as a lower-traffic alternative to the older TransAm Bike Race. It uses existing bicycle infrastructure as much as possible, including rail trails and canal towpaths. The route is 3,534 miles long with 117,300 feet of total elevation gain. Approximately 23% of t...
North Mountain campsite to Irons Mountain campsite, C&O Canal Towpath, 67 miles As daunting as biking across the continent seems, it does not compare to the man we shared the campsite with last night. He started walking across the country a year and a half ago from Seattle, pushing a buggy. I noted he's almost done, being just 110 miles from DC, but when he gets there he's walking the East Coast Greenway to Florida to complete his corner-to-corner walk. Godspeed, Darren. This morning we packed up and took the time to have a cup of coffee before departing (Mt. Hagan instant, which is surprisingly good). We rode 14 miles to the town of Hancock, Maryland where we had another great breakfast. More importantly, we showered at C&O Bicycle. At ten dollars, a shower it is worth every penny. Don't let the doors fool you. It was a great shower. At Hancock we made an unfortunate decision: we decided to leave the C&O Canal Towpath and p...
Stuart, Nebraska As described in the post for May 28 , I had two broken spokes. A local retired lawyer, Steve Brewster, was driving to Omaha and back, and he agreed to take me and my rear wheel to Norfolk. He would drop me off so I could have it fixed at Norfolk Bike, then pick me up on his way back to Stuart. I arose earlier than usual, about 5:20. I even set an alarm. John and I never set an alarm, though we always get up at 5:30, but I had to make absolutely certain I was ready when Steve came to pick me up. One rule I try to live by: when someone is doing you a favor, never make them wait. Steve arrived at 6:00 AM as promised. I threw my wheel and one of my panniers full of dirty laundry in the back of his car and we were off. One aspect of this trip that contributes to the daily grind is the search for a place to do laundry. We each have three sets of cycling clothes. You never want to start the day in dirty clothes, especially the shorts, so we are constantly thinking about the n...
Comments
Post a Comment